Maj.Gen. Molla Hailemariam
Chairman of CTSAMM
at the 14th CTSAMM Meeting
Royal Palace Hotel, Juba, October 2017
Ladies and gentlemen,
Good morning and welcome to the 14th Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM) Members meeting.
- I would like to extend my appreciation to TGoNU and the SPLA for their support and their efforts to ensure facilitation and acssess for our recent missions, even though there are still concerns to be fully resolved regarding the process for access assurance which is centralized and time consuming.
- We appreciate the support of UNMISS in providing a protection force and other services to CTSAMM. We encourage UNMISS to continue to improve coordination with CTSAMM at all levels and the provision of force protection in a timely manner to areas of priority to the CTSAMM mission.
- Concerning the general security situation, fighting has lessened significantly due to different reasons. However, fighting continues to take place in Upper Nile, specifically Pagak, northern Jonglei in Waat, and skirmishes in southern Unity in the Leer area. This fighting has exacerbated the humanitarian situation in these areas. We observed widespread occurrences of rape and criminality including looting and killing in different areas of the country.
- CTSAMM conducted a number of patrols including 15 Long Duration Patrols and monitoring missions and drafted one (1) violation report involving alleged violatons of the Peace Agreement (1) monitoring report, two (2) initial reports, and one (1) patrol report regarding Pagak which we will discuss today. These patrols and monitoring missions have been conducted through Long Duration Patrols and regular patrols into different areas.
- As we have previously stated, since August we have been ready to conduct verification of SPLA forces deployed outside of Juba. This mission has yet to be facilitated by JMCC.
- CTSAMM expresses its readiness to verify SPLA-IO (Taban Deng Gai) forces who are reportedly ready to be assembled once we receive an official request from JMCC.
- CTSAMM has participated in the pre-consultation meetings ahead of the IGAD High Level Revitalization Forum and attended multiple meetings within the IGAD plus countries with different groups and relevant stakeholders.
- CTSAMM participated in the 20th JMEC plenary and briefly reported on its activities and reports of violations.
- I look forward to your active and objective discussion on CTSAMM activities and the investigation reports.